As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we hire and develop the most passionate people in their field to help build a better working world. This starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. This is what makes us different, and renders working here a unique, lifetime experience.
EY VODW is the EY Design & Innovation studio representing the customer-centric innovation practice. We are dedicated to delivering customer-focused solutions. Our focus is on helping large companies understand their customers better and in turn design, build and launch new innovative products, services and experiences. We support our clients from innovation strategy to working MVP and scaling new solutions in the market.
As Design Director you’ll also become part of our EY Design & Engineering Collective to reinvent businesses and create cutting-edge experiences. Together with the EY agencies around the globe, you’ll shape the expanding collective and its offerings. The collective holds 1500+ human-centred thinking professionals in the fields of customer-focused business strategies, customer experience, digital product & service design, marketing, engineering, and data & analytics. More info: https://www.ey-vodw.com/en/ey-design-engineering
To take the next step in growing EY VODW we’re looking for a game-changing Design Director.
The goal is twofold:
- Lead and professionalize the Belgian Design Studio and its Experience Designers
- Oversee and expand our portfolio of clients and design work
Your key responsibilities
We are looking for a design director who can quickly interpret business needs and client briefs, and help our team in turning these into compelling innovative and creative solutions. You oversee that all product designs and experiences are delivered on time, on budget, and to the highest standards of quality. In addition, you’ll be responsible for establishing and communicating a creative vision for the Design Studio.
We require you to be a skilled manager of design teams (service & concept designers, UX/UI designers) and an effective communicator, especially when it comes to relaying complex design challenges to design teams and company stakeholders. You’ll also be tasked with tracking timelines, managing budgets, and maintaining client relationships.
As a people person, you keep in touch with all team members and make sure that everyone has the resources and knowledge needed to succeed.
- Formulate and communicate a strong future vision and plan for the design studio.
- Contribute to the development of the design team, inspiring and acting as a mentor to all levels of the team. Lead by example.
- Set a long-term recruitment roadmap and the optimal approach to attract talent and grow the team.
- Oversee multiple projects from conception to completion in accordance with deadlines. Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders. Ask smart questions, take risks, and champion new ideas.
- Help the design team distil abstract and complex business concepts and client needs into desirable and creative solutions.
- Coach designers in pitching and explaining design ideas confidently and support in presenting/discussing solutions to clients.
- Take final responsibility for the quality of the design directions and deliverables of the design team.
- Identification and pursuit of business opportunities through EYs existing network and engagements.
- Maintain long-term relationships with senior clients and evolve our design book of business.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in Product Design, UX/UI, Service Design, and low/high fidelity prototyping.
- Further developing existing and new design offerings.
Degree and specialism
Higher degree in Arts, Product Design, Service Design, Industrial Design, Business Design, Marketing, Communication, or equivalent … or a clearly demonstrated work experience as a Design lead.
Experience In Relevant Field
- You have at least 10 years of relevant experience in leading complex design projects.
- You have a solid understanding of the design landscape and the latest trends.
- You can demonstrate you’re a leader in at least one specific field of expertise (Product Design, Concept design, Service design, Conversational design, Design optimization & growth, etc.).
- You have a strong creative network and a proven track record in building client relationships allowing you to grow the design practice.
- You can quickly establish personal credibility and demonstrate expertise.
- You have proper experience in translating business and client needs into a clear and concrete design scope.
- You are used to dealing with executive stakeholders in large national/international organizations.
- Design & Prototyping (Figma, Adobe XD, Sketch, Overflow, etc.)
- Digital (animated) Mockups/Interaction design (InVision, POP, Marvel, Flint, etc.)
- Adobe CC Suite (Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign)
- User research (UserTesting, UsabilityHub, etc.)
- Design Thinking (Human-centered design process/design sprints)
- Optional: Emerging tech (conversational design, AR/VR), Design Systems (Atomic design), 3D design (blender, SketchUp, etc.)
- Others: working with Mac & MS Office (Powerpoint, Keynote).
- You are fluent in Dutch and/or French and proficient level of business English.
- Very strong interpersonal skills to clearly communicate the creative vision, concepts, ideas, and solutions to stakeholders, internal teams, and clients.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting, including synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications.
- Extensive supervisory experience (including leadership, team building, and delegation) leading and managing a design team.
- Work autonomously and proactively come with plans/ideas/solutions.
- A global mindset and the ability to function in international teams.
- Ability to work (and co-create) with clients to understand detailed requirements and determine a plan that will ensure they are met or exceeded.
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism from all levels to improve as a team.
- Fluency in current design technology and an understanding of the zeitgeist of social tastes, trends, and current affairs.
- You join a dynamic, young, and driven team exclusively focused on innovation, new products & services, and customer experience.
- We offer you an attractive remuneration package (competitive salary, net allowances and extensive fringe benefits: company car with fuel card, smartphone, health insurance, pension plan, etc.).;
- We offer extensive training, both on technical matters, as well on soft skills and project management;
- We are proud of our flexible working arrangements, and we will support you to build a successful career and deliver excellent client service without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing profession might require regular travel, and at times working at client sites, we are committed to helping you achieve a work-life balance;
- At EY we are passionate about the inclusion and support of individuals of all groups; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status.
At EY, the spotlight is on our people.
You are empowered to build your expertise and explore the world so that you can innovate and challenge the status quo.
Because Building a better working world begins here.
This is what makes us different, and renders working here a unique, lifetime experience.
We are one international, connected team, with one purpose. We are EY.
Your dream career begins here.